Monday, October 11, 2010

Fieldtrip: Conner Prairie


This beautiful 10/10/10 Sunday, the family spent the day at Conner Prairie. Conner Prairie is an Interactive History Park. This was the first time G has ever attended a museum where the docents play the part of the time period... he didn't quite know what to think.

First we rode the 1859 Balloon Voyage. G did not want to go but to be honest... I made him. There are certain things, like this balloon ride, like his first kiddie roller coaster, that I make him do. I don't want him to miss an opportunity. And I don't make him go if I am not willing to do it too. I only do this maybe once a year. He still was scared but talks about the view as being really neat.

350 feet in the air.

Indiana in October from 350 feet in the air

Once back on the ground we entered the Lenape Camp, the Conner's Farm, and Prairietowne.

Silver pieces like the English & the Indians Traded

G Creating a paper replica of the silver

Discussing trade with the Delaware

Learning how wool was dyed

Collecting kindling to pay for his half of the bed for the night. 12 1/2 cents

The Inn keeper telling us about how the Spanish Reales was used.
Trying to hold a rifle made by the Carpenter.

Crushing Sage

Playing a real piano forte!

Forging a nail, which G got to keep


Watching the Potter throw

Pretending to throw

Playing Farmer in the Dell

2 comments:

Sherri said...

You are so lucky to have all of these great places close to home. I wish we had something like that around here.
I would love love to go up in the balloon!!

Charlene said...

Thanks for stopping over by my new blog! I think you've been doing good with the field trips! We went to Conner Prairie this summer but have never been to Metamora! I think I will have to try that one and I'd love a ride in the Canal boat. Of course Disney had to be the best field trip.

I'm looking forward to reading about your November field trip.