Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Hollisters


In a nearby town, our recycling service has a shop called Arts & Scraps. Arts & Scraps is a place where people and companies can drop off materials they feel teachers may be able to use... paper, fabric, test tubes, magazines... odds & ends. Homeschoolers are included in this teacher supply shop and everything is FREE. You only have to weigh what you take to show how many pounds of things are saved from the land fill. The last time G and I were in the shop, a lady was dropping off a van load of things. G wanted to help her, after much discussion about staying out of the way... it's KIND NESS Mommy, he helped her carry things. While he helped I perused the things she was bringing in, piles and piles of books. Among those piles was a set of old children's books, The Happy Hollisters. They were in perfect condition and looked really fun so we brought them home. We will be finishing the first one tonight, it is GREAT! Written in 1953, the books chronicle the adventures of the Hollister family. Their neighbors call them the Happy Hollisters because they are... happy. These are mysteries for children. I would recommend them as an intro to mysteries before Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys.

4 comments:

A Dusty Frame said...

How cool! I wish we had that here.

Looks like fun books!
James and I read a Bobbsey Twins book together last year that was pretty fun.

Dana Leeds said...

What a neat find! And, what a great little helper you have! :-)

Anonymous said...

Funny, I didn't even know the Happy Hollisters until I saw a few copies of them at the Goodwill the other day. I would have bought them but they smelled bad. Now I am going to be on the look out for them. Thanks for suggesting them as a precursor for Nancy Drew. Great suggestion.

Mac said...

I loved these books as a kid, and read them over and over again.